2012-03-19

The Fine Art of Truth or Dare by Melissa Jensen

The Fine Art of Truth or Dare

My Thoughts: I was really excited about reading The Fine Art of Truth or Dare. I loved the cover. It's one of cutest ones I've ever seen. And I've heard that this book is like  "Pretty in Pink  meets Anna and the French Kiss". Doesn't that sound purrfect? You bet it does! But it also sets the expectations pretty high. Or at least my expectations. So was this everything I hoped for and more? No. Was this a funny, enjoyable read? Well, yes.
“Love is one of two things worth dying for. I have yet to decide on the second.”
Ella Marino is a seemingly ordinary, nothing special girl. She goes to an elite school on scholarship, where she's one of the outcasts, with only 2 friends. However, she is not just smart, but also a very talented artist. And I really liked her friends, especially Frankie.
Ella comes from a (typical) huge, Italian family. I liked her loud family, her Nonna was a great character, but sometimes I thought they were a little too much. But they were alright. What (or who) I really couldn't stand was Edward, Ella's obsession. He was a sort of famous artist from the 19th century. So of course he's dead now. But not dead like the other Edward. :) He's really dead Dead. Ella had him as a kind of imaginary friend/boyfriend. And honestly, I didn't care for him at all. But I liked Alex, Ella's still breathing crush. He was my favorite character of the book. Alex was also an artist and he was just *sigh* fantastic. I wish he had more page time, instead of Edward or Ella's family. I know that they were important, but I still wanted more romance...

Another thing that bothered me was Ella. She is an amazing artist, and also quite pretty. But she kept saying that she's just ordinary, nothing special, and even that she's invisible. She kept belittling herself. And she did it so frequently, that in the end I believed her. I understand, that she had a very traumatic accident happen to her when she was little, and it still haunted her. But I wished she were a little more brave and had a little more faith in herself. And you know the title is The Fine Art of Truth or Dare, right?  And it had plenty of truths, but no so many, if any dares. So that part just felt flat to me.

Overall, this was an okay read for me. Nothing special (as Ella would have said it) and certainly not something like Anna and the French Kiss (just because it's ya and has some french lessons in it, that doesn't make it automatically another Anna and the...), but it was enjoyable and sometimes even quite funny. And as I said before I loved Alex and Frankie, if nothing else it was worth reading for them. (And just a thought, but  Frankie should get his own novel. I definitely would read that. 

Title: The Fine Art of Truth or Dare 
Author: Melissa Jensen 
Blurb from Goodreads:  
Ella is nearly invisible at the Willing School, and that's just fine by her. Still, it's hard being a nobody and having a crush on the biggest somebody in the school: Alex Bainbridge. Especially when he is her French tutor, and lessons have started becoming, well, certainly more interesting than French ever has been before.  

Published:
February 16th 2012 by Speak


4 comments:

  1. Loved the honest review. I think I'd like to read Alex & Frankie's novel too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd also heard that this book was kind of like Anna and the French Kiss (which I loved), too bad that it isn't quite as awesome...
    I might still borrow it probably, but thanks for your review!

    (also, I love the cover...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree wholeheartedly with this review. Can't really say anything else because you've said everything that was on my mind. :')

    --Lauren
    www.laurenreadsya.tumblr.com

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe via email

Total Pageviews since Febr 06, 2012

TwitterEmailFeedburnerPinterest
follow us in feedlyTumbrlGoogleplusBloglovin

LGBT Month

LGBT Month
Sign up NOW!
Powered by Blogger.

LGBT Challenge 2014

LGBT Challenge 2014
Sign ups OPEN!

On the Blog