2012-03-15

Hunger (Gone #2) by Michael Grant

Hunger (Gone #2) by Michael Grant

My thoughts: I remember reading Gone, the first book of the series about a year ago. I loved it and planned to read the next one soon. Then I guess life just happened and I didn't get around to read it. But now I'm back to Perdido Beach, where everyone above the age of 15 disappeared, literally vanished into thin air. And about 300 kid remained trapped in the barrier they call the FAYZ (Fallout Alley Youth Zone). The FAYZ is a new, dangerous world, where strange things are happening, like animal mutations or kids developing powers.

In Gone the kids has divided into two groups. There're the ones who live in Perdido Beach, where Sam is the leader. And the Coates Academy group lead by Caine, Sam's twin half-brother. In book one they started to adapt to the new, adult-free life and in Hunger the struggle continues. 
And the problems are just increasing. Thing were pretty bad in Gone, but it's much worse now. The food is almost gone, kids are hungry.  Really hungry. 
There's a monster hiding in an abandoned mine. He's hungry, too. But he wants a different kind of food. And he plans to get it no matter what.
Come to me, I have need of you.

A new fight is on the horizon between the Normals and the Freaks (kids with powers).

Sam has his hands full. He has to solve all these huge crisis situations and a hundred more, seemingly unimportant ones, as well. Because he's the mayor now. And a sort of  father figure to all the kids in Perdido Beach. But he's just a kid, too. And Sam has a hard time dealing with all the responsibility he has now. I still liked Sam. He makes mistakes, but he's trying hard and in the end he manages find the right solutions. He's brave and a fantastic leader. And his power -shooting grean fire/energy beams from his hands - is super cool. I also liked most of Sam's crew. He's right hand man, Edilio is a great support character. Albert is the same businessman as he was in Gone. Now teamed up with Quinn, he's ready to execute new ideas how to "make" the kids work. The kids with powers; Dekka, Brianna, Lana and the new one Duck were great, too. I especially liked Brianna, The Breeze. :D And I felt sorry for Lana. This time she had it hard. And there's of course Astrid, Sam's girlfriend, Little Pete's sister. The girl with the brains. *sigh* I don't know why, but I  didn't like her. Oh, and I also hated computer Jack. He may be very clever AND strong, but he's an idiot. A big one. Can't believe he's been forgiven, again. I know they need him, but still...grrr..

And there's the evil side: Caine, Drake and Diana. I still liked Caine. :) My not so secret wish is that I want Sam and Caine to make peace and "fight" together. Maybe in the last book? *hoping* Drake was disgusting as always, but I kinda liked Diane. At least I liked her better, than that hypocrite Astrid.

I listened to the audiobook of Hunger, and one thing I found stange was that the narrator was female. I think a male one would have been more fitting to the story. But she had a good voice, so I enjoyed listening to it. 

All in all, Hunger is a long and very satisfying story. I loved it. And I can't wait to read more of this series. However, I heard that Lies is short and not so good. And that Plague is also just so-so. What to do? I'm curious about what happens next to them, on the other hand Hunger ended on a positive note. No cliffhanger, problems are solved for now. Every favorite character of mine remained alive and fairly sane. Maybe I'll wait until the last book (book 6?) is out, and then read all at once.

Title: Hunger 
Series: Gone #2 
Author: Michael Grant 
Blurb from Goodreads: 
It's been three months since everyone under the age of fifteen became trapped in the bubble known as the FAYZ.  Three months since all the adults disappeared. GONE.  Food ran out weeks ago. Everyone is starving, but no one wants to figure out a solution. And each day, more and more kids are evolving, developing supernatural abilities that set them apart from the kids without powers. Tension rises and chaos is descending upon the town. It's the normal kids against the mutants. Each kid is out for himself, and even the good ones turn murderous.  But a larger problem looms. The Darkness, a sinister creature that has lived buried deep in the hills, begins calling to some of the teens in the FAYZ. Calling to them, guiding them, manipulating them.  The Darkness has awakened. And it is hungry.

Published:
 May 26th 2009 by Katherine Tegen Books


Subscribe via email

Total Pageviews since Febr 06, 2012

TwitterEmailFeedburnerPinterest
follow us in feedlyTumbrlGoogleplusBloglovin

LGBT Month

LGBT Month
Sign up NOW!
Powered by Blogger.

LGBT Challenge 2014

LGBT Challenge 2014
Sign ups OPEN!

On the Blog